Sewa4Community’s raises $30,000 to donate for food pantries and soup kitchens in NJ
Edison, NJ, April 20, 2020 – Sewa4Community – New Jersey, an Indic collective of more than 40 Dharma and Sewa organizations, has raised over $30,000 in donations for various COVID-19 related relief efforts. So far, Sewa4Community has donated $23,000 to various food pantries and soup kitchens in New Jersey. Some of the beneficiaries include Elijah’s Kitchen, North Brunswick High School, food pantries in Monroe, Hightstown, Plainsboro, Parsippany, Bordentown, Morristown townships and MCFOODS.
Around 150 volunteers from the tri-state area are working to sew masks, procure N95 masks and other PPE and connect with medical centers in need. So far, 6500 masks and 85000 gloves have been donated to various hospitals including Lantern Medical Center, Holy Name Medical Center, Jersey Shore Medical Center, Centra State Hospital, UMDNJ, RWJ, and JFK Medical Center.
Along with these efforts, Sewa4Community has coordinated and executed the following efforts.
- Delivering groceries to Senior Citizens and families in need
- Delivering groceries to COVID patients taking precautions and utmost care
- Delivering hand made masks from Sewa International’s Mask Making Mission Design
- Rehabilitation of international students and helping coordinate grocery delivery and accommodation
- Coordination of plasma donors with needs and doctors
- Handling and solving calls that come through helplines of Sewa International
- Providing meals to doctors and hospitals in the Tri-state area and EMS/EMT/Police/Fire departments
- Providing medical help for patients by connecting them with doctors in our Network
- Providing information on various arrangements e.g., Funeral, Travel etc.
Minal Sapre, Service Coordinator from HSS USA, mentioned that teenage volunteers are doing their part by collecting food to provide meals to EMS/EMT workers in their townships. “This is very impressive that even teenagers have come together to join hands during this pandemic to serve the community,” she said.
Due to restrictions and social distancing, the fundraiser was mainly executed through Facebook. People from all walks of life have generously contributed to this cause. Anyone willing to participate in this effort can make their donations here https://www.facebook.com/donate/543555082960402/ .
Sewa4Community is a collective of people and organizations inspired by eternal Indic values such as “Serving Humanity is Serving Divine”, and “The whole world is one family”! It consists of a team of more than 150 tri-state area based volunteers from 40+ Dharma and Sewa organizations.
Sewa4Community serves humanity irrespective of race, color, religion, gender or nationality.
For more details visit Sewa4Community at https://www.sewa4community.us/
South & Central Jersey – Service Program Coordinator
Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh, USA
Phone: (609) 721-6105
Email ID: [email protected]